Today, you have unprecedented support available to help you build and improve your business and to survive any economic conditions. No matter how small a town or isolated an area you live in, internet access connects you to astounding resources.
- You can read advice from experts, including those in your own field.
- You can connect personally with mentors, consultants, and many other types of support online directly and through social networks.
- You can access in-depth guides, ebooks and college courses on any small business issue, some for free, others for an affordable price.
All that’s available, but you’re still struggling with your business. Why? What’s keeping you from using these abundant resources to improve your business? With all this abundance, there are still two resources that remain scarce:
- Your time
- Your attention
What is the solution? You’re going to have to make an appointment with your self and your business. Dedicate a set time each week, 1 hour minimum. Make it an absolute commitment. Do not let anything disturb you during this hour.
Here’s the agenda for how you’ll spend that time:
- Figuring out what areas of your business need improvement and choosing one to work on at a time.
- Finding the resources and people you need.
- Reading the resources that you found.
- Learning by making your first attempts.
- Talking with your mentors, contacts or consultants to check what you’re learning.
- Implementing and solidifying your learning into how you do business.
Your very first step is simple:
- Make an appointment with yourself this week for one hour.
Get your calendar. Do it now.
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020