We’re all using the same marketing theme this year: Shift Your Shopping. When we work together to spread the word, we’ll multiply how many customers we reach.
Your customers matter a lot to you. And they have great stories. Now, the story doesn’t even have to be related to what you do. It can be anything amazing or interesting about them. It’s a great excuse to get to know customers a little better.
IMPORTANT: Ask your customer for permission to share their story and photo. Don’t surprise them by talking about them publicly without permission.
Tell the story of how your customers make the community stronger. Be sure to tag them or mention them by name online. End by saying, “Together, we’re making a better community. When you shift just a little more of your shopping to local stores, you help us all. #ShiftYourShopping.” You can do this on Facebook or Instagram, or in print ads you’re planning to run.
Check your fellow local businesses online. Look for their customer stories and cheer them on with likes, shares and comments.
Shift Your Shopping is our group theme for holiday marketing this year. You have my permission to forward these articles to your local retailers, merchants association, chamber of commerce, downtown development group or any one else you think would benefit from them. All you need to do is list the author as Becky McCray of SmallBizSurvival.com and then let me know who you are sharing with.
Shift Your Shopping 2015 series:
- Picking your Holiday 2015 marketing theme
- Set your cover photos
- Spotlight a local business
- Spotlight on community
- Share the causes you care about
- Support your service providers
- Small Business Saturday
- Tell your founding story
- Tell your customers’ stories
- How will autonomous vehicles work in small towns? - July 16, 2018
- A small town apprenticeship - July 9, 2018
- Time management: knowing what NOT to do - July 2, 2018
- 3 Types of Income Producing Activities: discovering, nurturing, delivering - June 25, 2018
- The easiest way to podcast is from your phone - June 18, 2018
- Dress up empty buildings with these creative window ideas - June 11, 2018
- Expensive code compliance doesn’t have to ruin your small town - May 28, 2018
- The next big opportunity downtown: the rooftops - May 14, 2018
- I’d like to feed business plan competitions to the sharks - May 7, 2018
- What can you do when a traffic detour cuts down on visitors to town? - April 30, 2018