We’re all using the same marketing theme this year: Shift Your Shopping. When we work together to spread the word, we’ll multiply how many customers we reach.
This week, the focus is on the causes you support.
Our ultimate goal is to build a stronger community for all your local businesses, and the charities you donate to and the causes you support are important to that. Let’s share that story with customers. You can do this on Facebook or Instagram, or in print ads you’re planning to run.
Look back through your bookkeeping. What causes have you given to this year? Pick the one that matters the most to you. Why does it matter to you? What’s so important about what they do for the community?
Write a three-sentence story about them. Be sure to tag them or mention them by name. End by saying, “Together, we’re making a better community. When you shift just a little more of your shopping to local stores, you help us all. #ShiftYourShopping.”
While you’re online, look up your fellow local stores. See if they have posted their mini-stories yet. When you find them, like and share them!
Here’s the bonus: You support and donate to a lot of causes. You’re not limited here. You can do as many of these cause mini-stories as you like!
Small Business Saturday
If you’ll be participating in Small Business Saturday in the US on November 28, stop by ShopSmall.com now to sign up to possibly get tote bags and other materials you can use to promote the day. The deadline is posted as November 16.
Shift Your Shopping is our group theme for holiday marketing this year. You have my permission to forward these articles to your local retailers, merchants association, chamber of commerce, downtown development group or any one else you think would benefit from them. All you need to do is list the author as Becky McCray of SmallBizSurvival.com and then let me know who you are sharing with.
Shift Your Shopping 2015 series:
- Picking your Holiday 2015 marketing theme
- Set your cover photos
- Spotlight a local business
- Spotlight on community
- Share the causes you care about
- Support your service providers
- Small Business Saturday
- Tell your founding story
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020