In the USA, this weekend is Small Business Saturday. (Canada celebrated last month, and the UK is holding out for Dec 5. Australia is taking the whole month of November, which is smart.)
Expect a lot of media attention in the US for #ShopSmall events, so this is a big chance to piggyback on that. You can do this on any of your social media channels and in ads you run.
Since weekends are usually a time when folks shop in big cities and at big box stores, it’s up to us to remind them that this Saturday is different. Tell customers that they’ll want to make plans to stay and shop in your community this weekend. Give them good reasons, by mentioning any local events that will be happening that day. Point out special activities. Make a big deal about the variety of local stores in your community.
When you write your social media posts this week include the #ShopSmall and #ShiftYourShopping hashtags. For your print ads and in-store displays, use the ShopSmall logo from ShopSmall.com as well as the Shift Your Shopping logo.
Watch for your fellow local stores. More of them may be online this week gearing up for the rush of activity. Make sure you find, like and share their stuff.
Shift Your Shopping 2015 series:
- Picking your Holiday 2015 marketing theme
- Set your cover photos
- Spotlight a local business
- Spotlight on community
- Share the causes you care about
- Support your service providers
- Small Business Saturday
- Tell your founding story
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020