We’re all using the same marketing theme this year: Shift Your Shopping. When we work together to spread the word, we’ll multiply how many customers we reach.
This week, the focus is on the local businesses that help you do business.
Think about all the other businesses you rely on. Who sells you supplies? Who produces the products you sell? Who does your bookkeeping or sells you insurance? Who is your bank? Who takes care of your maintenance or fixes your equipment?
Every business you depend on is also helping build a stronger community.
Pick a favorite one, and write a three-sentence story about them. Be sure to tag them or mention them by name so they can find it. End by saying, “Together, we’re making a better community. When you shift just a little more of your shopping to local stores, you help us all. #ShiftYourShopping.” You can do this on Facebook or Instagram, or in print ads you’re planning to run.
While you’re online, look up your fellow local stores. See if they have posted their mini-stories yet. When you find them, like and share them!
Kind of makes you feel good to know you’re giving a little thank you to another business, doesn’t it? You might as well feel even better and do a few of these.
Shift Your Shopping is our group theme for holiday marketing this year. You have my permission to forward these articles to your local retailers, merchants association, chamber of commerce, downtown development group or any one else you think would benefit from them. All you need to do is list the author as Becky McCray of SmallBizSurvival.com and then let me know who you are sharing with.
Shift Your Shopping 2015 series:
- Picking your Holiday 2015 marketing theme
- Set your cover photos
- Spotlight a local business
- Spotlight on community
- Share the causes you care about
- Support your service providers
- Small Business Saturday
- Tell your founding story
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018
- Want more young families to shop downtown? Consider family parking - February 5, 2018
- How independent retailers can trick Alexa, Siri, and Google Home to capture orders from local customers - January 29, 2018
- Who are the next 5 people who will hire you? - January 22, 2018
- 2017 was the retail apocalypse. What does the future of retail hold for small town stores? - January 15, 2018
- New after-conference rule: the 2-to-1 rule - January 8, 2018