This week, let’s do a throwback. Tell your founding story.
How did your business come into being? How were you founded? Who was involved in your early history?
Go dig out an old photo, the older the better. Tell an early story from your business in just a few sentences.
End by saying, “Together, we’re making a better community. When you shift just a little more of your shopping to local stores, you help us all. #ShiftYourShopping.” You can do this on Facebook or Instagram, or in print ads you’re planning to run.
Check your fellow local businesses online. Look for their founding stories and cheer them on with likes, shares and comments.
Shift Your Shopping is our group theme for holiday marketing this year. You have my permission to forward these articles to your local retailers, merchants association, chamber of commerce, downtown development group or any one else you think would benefit from them. All you need to do is list the author as Becky McCray of SmallBizSurvival.com and then let me know who you are sharing with.
Shift Your Shopping 2015 series:
- Picking your Holiday 2015 marketing theme
- Set your cover photos
- Spotlight a local business
- Spotlight on community
- Share the causes you care about
- Support your service providers
- Small Business Saturday
- Tell your founding story
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018
- Want more young families to shop downtown? Consider family parking - February 5, 2018
- How independent retailers can trick Alexa, Siri, and Google Home to capture orders from local customers - January 29, 2018
- Who are the next 5 people who will hire you? - January 22, 2018
- 2017 was the retail apocalypse. What does the future of retail hold for small town stores? - January 15, 2018
- New after-conference rule: the 2-to-1 rule - January 8, 2018
- For better planning, assess your strengths - January 1, 2018
- The end of year checklist for small businesses - December 26, 2017
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2017: What Small Town People See as Their Biggest Challenges and What Topics They Most Want Help With - December 18, 2017