Or let me show you around on the Guided Tour.
About Small Biz Survival
This is the rural small business blog. We talk about small town business, with how-to articles, an emphasis on social media marketing, and a weekly chance to share your good news in our Brag Basket. We’ve been at it since January 14, 2006.
- On Twitter and Facebook, we share links to small town business articles and stories we find all over, including our own.
- To see what we’re talking about, you can scan our latest trending topics on Twylah.
- You can also take in more stories through our network of rural and small town sources in our Small Town and Rural Resources Daily.
Becky McCray, founder and publisher
I started Small Biz Survival because I am a small town entrepreneur. I believe small town entrepreneurs have a lot to teach other businesses. And when local entrepreneurs prosper, they help their small town prosper, too.
I write about small business and rural issues, based on my own successes and failures. My husband and I own a small town retail liquor store and cattle ranch. I also work with Sheila Scarborough and Leslie McLellan as Tourism Currents, teaching social media skills to tourism professionals.
If you need a small business, social media or small town speaker, I’d love to hear from you.
I also write a personal blog, Out Standing in My Field.
If you want to email me directly, stop by the contact form.
Glenn Muske, contributor
Glenn Muske is a true grass-roots expert on small business. I met Glenn when he worked in Oklahoma. Now, as the Rural and Agribusiness Enterprise Development Specialist at the North Dakota State University Extension Service – Center for Community Vitality, he shares articles on small business with the county extension agents there, and he kindly shares them here, too. Follow Glenn on Twitter: @gmuske.
Glenna Mae Hendricks “Maesz”, contributor and editor
This is my mom, Glenna Mae Hendricks. She is an entrepreneur and income tax consultant, so we get lots of good tax tips from her. She is an oenophile (“look that up in your Funk and Wagnall’s,” she says), and a wine enjoyment teacher/guide who also writes wine notes at the Allen’s Retail Liquors site. Her political thoughts (and occasional outbursts of domesticity) appear at Old Feminist and Wild-eyed Liberal. Maesz is also on Twitter.
Jon Swanson, contributor
This is my friend Jon Swanson. Jon has been a regular reader and occasional (OK, sporadic) contributor around here since 2006.
Jon works as a pastor, but he understands business better than many so-called business people. He may claim to be too chicken to be an entrepreneur, but he wrote the best small business post that I have ever read. He gets that it is about people, relationships, service, and yes, even love.
He offers insight from a customer’s perspective, and he is a storyteller. He knows how to choose just the right words to get his point across, clearly and simply. Not surprising, given his background in teaching communication.
Honors and Awards:
A few of our awards and appearances in “Top” lists, because I’m so proud of the work our contributors do:
- Top 25 Blogs For Small Business Owners in 2014
- 2013 Power Players in Technology Business Media
- The Best Local Marketing Blogs to Read in 2013 – Bplans
- Top Daily Must-Reads for Every Small Business Owner – NFIB
- 50 Small Business Blogs to Watch – Infusionsoft
- 24 Must-Read Blogs for Entrepreneurs – Business Insider
- Top 25 Upcoming Small Business Blogs to follow for 2012
- 20 Blogs Every Entrepreneur Should Read 2011 – Business Insider
- 20 Blogs Every Entrepreneur Should Read 2010 – Business Insider
- Top 20 Small Business Bloggers Dominating the Market
- 10 Best Blogs for Entrepreneurs
- Top 20 Small Business Blogs
- 20 Best Small Business Blogs
- Top 100 Blogs for Small-Business Cost Cutting Inspiration
- Top 50 Blogs for Startups For 2010
- Top 100 Business Blogs
- Top 12 Small Business Marketing Blogs
- 25 Great Entrepreneur Blogs We Love
- Top 100 Blogs For Working At Home
- 9 Blogs Entrepreneurs Must Read
Now that you’ve met us, let me take you on the Guided Tour.