Dorrigo in New South Wales, Australia, population 1100, created an entire event to support local makers. David from the Red Dirt Distillery told us about Made in Dorrigo Day, where everything offered for sale had to be made, grown or produced in their local 2453 postcode area.
Back in 2014 when they started, David said, “Like with everything, it is just up to a few individuals to run the whole show BUT, we are doing something and it does make a difference.. even if it isn’t a “roaring success, financially” it does provide all those other immeasurable things – pride in community, and even [the feeling of] “community” sooooo important in our small (struggling) towns…”
As I write this in 2021, they’re still doing Made in Dorrigo Markets several times a year. They’ve taken small steps to build something meaningful out of their local arts, crafter, makers and manufacturers.
Holding “Made in” events helps redefine how people see your town. We just aren’t aware of how many different things are made, grown or produced locally. Getting them all together in one place can really make an impression on people’s thinking.
You’ll be influencing the growth of your future maker entrepreneurs and your future creative workforce.
Bonus: This would make a great tie in with MFG Day or Manufacturing Day in October.
Get more ideas for building your local maker economy with SaveYour.Town’s rural craft entrepreneurship video.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021