Last week, we talked about finding conference sponsors from your local network, working with local businesses. Today, let’s talk about being your own sponsor.
|Adele McAlear shared her
experience with local sponsors
on last week’s post
Why put your conference attendance into someone else’s hands? Take charge and send yourself to the event. If it is worth attending, isn’t it worth sponsoring yourself?
1. Total up all your expenses for the trip.
Airfare or transportation, hotel, conference registration, meals, pocket money, and anything else that you’ll have to pay.
2. Figure how much you’ll need to save per month.
Count the number of months between now and the conference. Divide your total expenses into monthly amounts.
3. Make a plan to get there.
Figure out a way to dedicate some revenue to your conference fund.
- Offer a special sale.
- Put one item on sale, and dedicate profit from it to your fund.
- Set aside a percentage of all your sales.
- Commit to an extra hour of work each week.
- Make and hold one extra selling appointment per week.
Let your customers know what your purpose is. You’ll be surprised who is willing to spend a bit extra to help out, while still getting a good deal for themselves.
4. Not enough time? Start now for next year.
Yes, a full year out. If that’s what it takes, do it.
How do you find the money to attend conferences?
Next week: How to earn your conference costs back, or getting the most out of conferences and events before you ever leave the house.
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017
- Business Idea: A new use for old church buildings: camping and lodging - September 11, 2017
- Where to find photos online that you can use for your business - September 4, 2017
- The marketing genius behind Nacho Business - August 28, 2017
- Who will run small town businesses when the owners retire? One unusual option you may not have considered - August 21, 2017
- So what if they said it’s illegal? Doing business when it’s against the rules - August 14, 2017
- How to cope with wild swings in income using the pressure tank method - August 7, 2017
- Business ideas for young entrepreneurs in small towns - July 31, 2017
- Where your future entrepreneurs and business leaders come from - July 25, 2017
- Clean Your Own Sidewalk - July 17, 2017