Heads up, rural retailers: holiday shopping has already started!
Guest post by Jen Risley, AMIBA
Why promote Shop Indie Local early this holiday season? Because more of us are shopping early for holiday gifts.
From National Retail Federation:
Over the last decade, consumers have been kicking off their holiday shopping early in order to spread out their budgets and avoid the stress of holiday shopping. Continuing the trend [in 2022], 60% of holiday shoppers started browsing and buying by early November.
How to say it in your small business marketing
A good message to share with customers is something along the lines of “Let’s ensure that independent businesses have strong end-of-the-year sales by supporting them now.”
Here are some ways they can support not just your business, but all your local independent colleagues:
- Pre-order gifts and supplies today
- Buy a gift card
- Support local fundraising campaigns
- Donate to your community’s Independent Business Alliance
- Share on social media how much you love locally owned businesses (tag your post with #shopindielocal)
- Adapt and share these posts on social media
Make your own social media graphics with the “Shop Early, Shop Indie Local” message, like this one from the American Booksellers Association:
Subscribe to SmallBizSurvival for more Shop Indie Local updates throughout the holidays.