Have you got a “coming soon” biking trail? Or a biking trail that is not completely finished yet? Well, don’t keep it a secret!
A couple of places I’ve visited lately, I’ve heard about trails that are in the partially-finished stage. Some segments of the trail have been improved, others are still rough.
“Once the trail is finished,” people say, “we’ll promote it.”
“When it’s done, we’ll see a lot more visitors.”
But why are you waiting? If people can ride or bike on even part of t now legally, then it’s ready enough to tell the world. Even if there are parts that are unimproved.
Not all bike riders are looking for perfectly smooth easy rides. There are plenty of riders out there who are thrilled by a challenging ride. You could be attracting all kinds of riders now, matching them up to the kinds of rides they can expect to find.
People who start coming to enjoy your trail now will feel like they’re discovering something new, a hidden gem. They’ll have a sense of investment as they come back year after year and see improvements. They’ll talk about you to other riders, gaining some status from being in the know.
Start talking about your not-quite-finished trail as an “emerging” trail. One that’s partly ready now and steadily improving.
Put it on trail listings and online maps as “partly improved.” (Just search your state name and “bike trails” or ask bikers where to list it.) Clearly mark which parts are improved and which aren’t. Be scrupulously honest about current conditions, so people know which segments are right for them.
Bonus points: Include a link in your new listing for the donation page where people can help fund improvements.
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019
- Stop using “3 legged stool” to describe any idea - June 24, 2019