Jen Risley spoke on a panel with me at the American Independent Business Alliance Conference, and I want to share one or two smart tricks she uses.
Jen represents Monadnock Buy Local, covering 35 small towns in the Monadnock Region of southwestern New Hampshire. Her members are all local businesses. She’s a one-person staff so she has to make the most of every moment.
Jen created a Facebook Interest List with all her member businesses. It only takes her one click to see what members are posting. Then she re-shares those posts to help amplify the businesses’ messages.
Any group or association with members can do this.
- Create your own Facebook interest list of members.
- Check it once a day.
- Share what members are sharing.
You can also make a list of local people and organizations who aren’t members. That way you’ll keep up with other local happenings.
Bonus Tracking Idea:
Jen tracked mentions of her local hashtag, but she also tracked something I never see mentioned: she tracked questions people were asking. That’s exceptionally smart.
The list of questions people are asking can help you create new content to share on social networks, on your own site, in your emails, and even in traditional media. It also lets you know what people find most interesting about you.
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021