Legions of people over 55 have boxes and boxes of old photos. They’d love to have them in albums or scanned into digital format, but they may not have the time, equipment or experience. Enter photo organization businesses.
These are perfect for small towns and especially for younger people looking for a business that’s simple to start on the side.
Think of all the people who are downsizing to a smaller house and having to go through all their stuff. Then add in all the people who have inherited boxes of unsorted photos from parents. That’s a big target market.
The Sidney Morning Herald reported on one business offering this service in Australia.
The pair charge $55 an hour to organise prints into albums and $60 an hour to digitise prints and slides. Boomers account for 75 per cent of their turnover, with some clients happy to pay for up to 60 hours of service.
“Baby boomers have been our bread and butter – they see that value,” Morrison says.
“They are recognising you really can’t put a price on this stuff.”
You may already have a flatbed scanner built into your printer that would be enough to get started with, or you can purchase one specifically designed to work with photos, negatives and slides.
You’ll find more suggestions here at tocofi, The Original Instagrams – What to Do with the Box of Old Family Photos: Scan and Enlarge Them.
And here’s an article from Cathi Nelson specifically on scanning photos as a home business:
- How to convince a building owner to host a pop-up - November 20, 2017
- Downtown After 5 idea: Dinner and a Movie - November 13, 2017
- Like a home office, but with wheels - November 6, 2017
- Want more local retail businesses? Here’s what Elk City does - October 30, 2017
- Free concerts draw big crowds, but no one shops local stores - October 23, 2017
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017
- Don’t call it a failure just because it stopped - October 3, 2017
- Is this my business, or just a distraction? - September 25, 2017
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017