Legions of people over 55 have boxes and boxes of old photos. They’d love to have them in albums or scanned into digital format, but they may not have the time, equipment or experience. Enter photo organization businesses.
These are perfect for small towns and especially for younger people looking for a business that’s simple to start on the side.
Think of all the people who are downsizing to a smaller house and having to go through all their stuff. Then add in all the people who have inherited boxes of unsorted photos from parents. That’s a big target market.
The Sidney Morning Herald reported on one business offering this service in Australia.
The pair charge $55 an hour to organise prints into albums and $60 an hour to digitise prints and slides. Boomers account for 75 per cent of their turnover, with some clients happy to pay for up to 60 hours of service.
“Baby boomers have been our bread and butter – they see that value,” Morrison says.
“They are recognising you really can’t put a price on this stuff.”
You may already have a flatbed scanner built into your printer that would be enough to get started with, or you can purchase one specifically designed to work with photos, negatives and slides.
You’ll find more suggestions here at tocofi, The Original Instagrams – What to Do with the Box of Old Family Photos: Scan and Enlarge Them.
And here’s an article from Cathi Nelson specifically on scanning photos as a home business:
- How to start a big business in a small town, when the big dream seems out of reach - February 13, 2017
- My trends reports and more guest articles on other sites - January 23, 2017
- Innovative Rural Business Models spread opportunity in small towns - January 9, 2017
- When Google Maps has your small business listed in the wrong place - January 2, 2017
- Don’t wait until retirement to feature your people - December 26, 2016
- Sometimes all you have is the dirt under your feet - December 19, 2016
- Hygge: A cozy small town tourism trend - December 12, 2016
- RuralOmniLocal: Why local businesses resist selling online - November 29, 2016
- Resources for Service Businesses - November 28, 2016
- RuralOmniLocal: Selling virtual products in a bricks-and-mortar store - November 21, 2016