Stop by most any rural coffee shop and you probably will hear a discussion about attracting more people to the community. Then the question arises, can it be done? The Center for Small Towns, located at the University of Minnesota, Morris, plans to look at that question. Mark June 4th and 5th on your calendars and learn what has worked and what are the myths. See their announcement below for more information and their website.
Looks like a great opportunity to network and discuss the issues facing rural communities.
SAVE THE DATE: 2014 Symposium on Small Towns (June 4-5, 2014):
The Rural Futures Institute is partnering with the University of Minnesota Morris’ Center for Small Towns, among others, to plan the Symposium on Small Towns event which will be held in Morris, Minnesota. Held on June 4–5, 2014, the event is themed: Understanding Rural Migration: Myths, Trends, and Opportunities Exposed. Hosted at the beautiful University of Minnesota, Morris campus the symposium will address the changing truths of small towns and debunk the current myths surrounding migration to and from small towns.
There will be a series of breakout sessions, discussions, and keynotes during the 2-day event. We encourage you to consider attending this event and share your experiences with others from the Great Plains region. Some goals of the symposium include:
• Improving the dialogue surrounding migration research in rural areas.
• Exemplifying the ways communities are connected through migration.
• Exploring the role narrative language plays in recruitment strategies.
• Delineating the strategy differences between youth and adult recruitment.
• Developing a strategy to evaluate the effectiveness of recruitment and retention efforts.
• Exploring common recruitment strategies between states.
• Gathering experiences with place-based strategies; i.e. Land incentives, internships, alumni.
As a partner in planning this event, the Rural Futures Institute encourages interested individuals to partake in the conversation. Visit the conference website for details.
- Change - December 26, 2018
- Regular Customers Form Your Base - December 12, 2018
- Disasters: Is Your Small Business Ready? - December 5, 2018
- Business Startup: Steps to Remember - November 28, 2018
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM SMALL BIZ SURVIVAL - November 21, 2018
- Finding a Business Idea - November 14, 2018
- Does Your Networking Have Punch? - November 7, 2018
- Build Tomorrow’s Community Business Sector - October 24, 2018
- Are You Changing? - October 17, 2018
- Is it really a deal? - October 10, 2018