The “shop local, shop independent” message is starting to get through. More shoppers say they prefer small local stores over big boxes, according to the Deluxe Annual Holiday Shopping Survey.
What can a small town do to keep the momentum alive through the last of the holiday shopping season? Join with other small towns and local organizations in Shift Your Shopping.
Shift Your Shopping provides both physical materials you can order and downloadable information you can put to work immediately.
- Print the downloadable poster for your store.
- Use the Shift Your Shopping Logo in your ads and online.
- Put the audio PSAs on your local radio station. (You can pay the station and make them ads.)
- Join the Shift Your Shopping for Good campaign to donate a percentage to the charity of the shopper’s choice. Use the campy Kevin Bacon video to promote it.
- Get your chamber or other local organization involved. Not gonna happen? Grab one other local business owner, and get involved together.
Are you building your own Shop Local campaign? Get our Shop Local Campaigns for Small Towns guide.
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021