The sharpest marketing advice I’ve heard came not from some marketing guru but from a small town photographer, one who built a global business from a home base in a small town.
|Mike Klemme found a niche, filled it,
and killed it. And that is how he
built a global business.
Mike Klemme is a professional photographer from Enid, Oklahoma (population 47,000). He said he built his business on the Red Adair model: be the one to call. That niche marketing has taken him around the world to do what he does best: photograph golf courses.
I heard his marketing advice at a photography event back in 2010.
Find a niche, fill the niche and kill the niche, Klemme said.
Here’s how he outlined the process:
- Pick a niche without an existing specialist, one that capitalizes on your skills and abilities.
- Start learning all you can about it; read the trade publications.
- Network, meet everyone involved, know the industry players and become a guru in your specialty.
- Get beyond the obvious; develop your own perspective and your own style.
- Slam the door on that niche by being the absolute best.
- Find your tribe of people who are passionate about the topic. Communicate directly with them.
- Build great partnerships. Find compatible professionals, and grow your work together.
Klemme may have been thinking about photographers when he put together his points, but I’m thinking about how many different small-town professionals could use these ideas to build their own global business and kill their niche.
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019