Ed Morrison writes a weekly roundup of stories and commentary. Three items came together for me today. I’ll try to tie them together to share with you.
What does your small town need to grow?
- Entrepreneurs need mentors and networks of support.
- Education is economic development, especially early education.
- Tourism is a traded business just as much as manufacturing.
Here are quotes from those three stories in Ed’s latest weekly roundup:
During the course of the discussion, several participants commented on the importance of mentoring in order to train new entrepreneurs in the skills they need to build a business.
Economic development professionals often get this calculation wrong. They see the absence of startups in their region, and they think that the real problem is an absence of venture capital. While many regions can benefit from strengthening the networks of informal investors, early-stage capital follows good ideas. It does not create them.
In a brainpower economy, education is economic development
Education, especially early education plays a critical role in generating future prosperity. A new policy brief from the Brookings Institution, explores how to quantify the impact of early education. Over the last 40 years, the report notes that education accounts for anywhere between 13% and 30% of the total increase in productivity that our economy has generated.
The report goes on to explore how investments in early effective preschool education can have dramatic economic growth effects.
In the past, economic development professionals tended to look down on tourism development. Now, however, the lines separating economic development, community development, tourism development, and workforce development are all blurring.
Innovative regional leaders are getting back to basics. Any business that attracts money from outside the region tends to improve prosperity within the region. These traded businesses include tourism. So, for example, tourism is big business in Appalachian Ohio.
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021