Another lesson I learned from my time as a Mary Kay consultant.
A new Mary Kay consultant was sitting next to a more experienced director next to a fireplace.
Keep your fire alive. Photo by Becky McCray
The new consultant asked, “Why should I waste one night each week going to success meetings? I could be using that night to hold a class and make more sales!”
The experienced director said nothing. She picked up the fireplace tongs and carefully pulled out a glowing red-hot coal from the grate. She set it on the bricks in front of the fireplace. Separated from the heat of the fire, the glow faded, and the ember quickly cooled.
“Ah, I see,” the new consultant said.
Of course, this lesson could apply in any business, but I think it’s particularly telling for people who work independently. Let’s look at what happens at a typical Mary Kay unit weekly success meeting:
- Results are tabulated and rewards are given, with public recognition.
- Goals are set for short term and long term.
- New information is shared about business management and about product.
- People get together and socialize.
- Fun is encouraged.
Few independent business people have such a powerful weekly session. Your challenge is to find ways to get all of those benefits on a regular basis. Look for meetings and events locally that provide some of the elements. You could put together a group that meets online to provide most of the rest. But watch out for the people with the wrong attitude. Spending time with negative thinkers is like throwing your glowing ember into a pail of cold water.
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017
- Don’t call it a failure just because it stopped - October 3, 2017
- Is this my business, or just a distraction? - September 25, 2017
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017
- Business Idea: A new use for old church buildings: camping and lodging - September 11, 2017
- Where to find photos online that you can use for your business - September 4, 2017
- The marketing genius behind Nacho Business - August 28, 2017
- Who will run small town businesses when the owners retire? One unusual option you may not have considered - August 21, 2017
- So what if they said it’s illegal? Doing business when it’s against the rules - August 14, 2017