[My friend Gayle Machetta from Henryetta, Oklahoma, sent me the story of how one local merchant has created a sales event that packs hundreds of people into their downtown twice a year. –Becky]
|Burnett Furniture getting ready for the big sale.
Photo by Gayle Machetta.
Sending you an invite to come to Henryetta and see what happens on our Main St. two times a year. Our large home-town family owned furniture store (Burnett’s) does a blow-out sale in April and November every year where the manufacturer’s representatives actually attend and serve as sales staff on the showroom floor because there are literally hundreds of people who come to the 3-hour sale. They line up outside the doors of the store for an hour before the doors open. The dealer will close down this evening and cardboard up the windows until the night of the sale in order to re-price everything in the store.
The other merchants in the same block figured out awhile ago that this was a captive market for those few hours. The Men’s store next door stays open (Bob’s Clothiers) and does a tremendous business. The Flower/Gift shop and Jewelry store (Rheba’s and Cave’s) also stay open until about 8 and do a good trade. The Burnett Hardware Store and Burnett Gift Store in the next block participate in the sale and the hardware store also has manufacturer’s representatives on hand to do special orders on lawn tractors, chippers, tillers. This year, there was even a church youth group that set up a Hamburger cookout to raise money for their Relay for Life team and they made several hundred dollars in a couple of hours on the light crowd.
It’s a real phenomenon. Reminds me of when our Main Street was bustling like that every weekend and during the holiday season.
- How to convince a building owner to host a pop-up - November 20, 2017
- Downtown After 5 idea: Dinner and a Movie - November 13, 2017
- Like a home office, but with wheels - November 6, 2017
- Want more local retail businesses? Here’s what Elk City does - October 30, 2017
- Free concerts draw big crowds, but no one shops local stores - October 23, 2017
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017
- Don’t call it a failure just because it stopped - October 3, 2017
- Is this my business, or just a distraction? - September 25, 2017
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017