Reader Carie Fuhrman, with the City of Princeton, Minnesota, shared this story on our contact form. Great stuff! –Becky
By Carie Fuhrman
|Downtown Princeton, MN
Photo courtesy of City of Princeton staff.
I’d like to tell you about what the Princeton, MN (pop. 4,698) community is doing to revitalize their downtown and help small business owners and entrepreneurs.
The Princeton community is offering an incentive package worth up to $20,000 for up to three winning businesses that will open in downtown Princeton by September 1, 2013. The package includes a $10,000 forgivable loan through the City, $6,500 worth of in-kind services from local businesses, and two landlords that are offering reduced rents for a period of time.
Details can be found at www.experienceprinceton.org under the It Starts Here Challenge.
This has been a collaborative effort between the existing businesses, Chamber of Commerce, City of Princeton, and interested residents working together to save our downtown, and we are really looking forward to the unique business possibilities that will come from this project to enhance downtown Princeton.
We modeled the challenge after a similar effort in Biddeford, Maine. I have spoken with their staff person, and they are very happy with the results from their project.
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020