In a small town, you might think everyone already knows about your business or your well-known tourism attraction. You might think you don’t need a website at all, or that it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a mobile-friendly website.
You’d be wrong. You have new residents, people who have never needed your service before, visitors, and tourists. They don’t know about you, and they are highly likely to search for you using their phone.
- During 2011, mobile access to the Internet doubled.
- 61% of smartphone users search for local information on the go.
And I’m willing to bet that your website isn’t ready for this, because analysis conducted by BIA/Kelsey said that:
- “93.3% of SMB websites are not mobile-compatible and will not render successfully on mobile devices or smartphones.”
What’s the easiest way to get a mobile friendly website for a small town business? Build your site using a tool that is mobile-friendly.
Two Do-It-Yourself Choices
My liquor store site is built on Blogger, and it is automatically mobile friendly. Posterous Spaces is also easy to use and automatically is mobile friendly. You can build your own site without additional technical help on these services.
One With-Help Choice
If you are ready to pay for website support, you can use WordPress. It’s very powerful, and can be customized to be mobile friendly. However, for the majority of small business owners in small towns, it’s too much to take on alone.
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019