Lots of people arrive here looking for rural business ideas. That’s why I keep coming up with more and more ideas you can use to start your own small town business. Here are three new ones to spur your thinking.
1941 Kerr canning manual
Teach canning classes
If you learned to can from your grandmother, and you can quote the Ball Blue Book from memory, then you could be teaching people. I heard from @SlowMoneyFarm that canning classes go as high as $150 apiece.
This one is just weird
A food truck for pets. I have no clue why this popped into my mind, but there it is. Someone is probably already doing it, but you could adapt it for small town festivals and fairs.
Bring outside retailers in
Few small towns have a perfect retail system. We all have holes. Take a look at what folks can’t get locally, and then set up a delivery service. I read about people bringing in IKEA furniture or Costco discount items from Inspired Livelihood. Think of it as any other group buying service. People put in orders, and you deliver the items. And for the sake of your hometown, try not to duplicate your existing merchants.
Want more small town business ideas? Look through our free booklet, 20 Small Business Ideas for Small Towns.
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020