Imagine with me….
- Six things. Not sixty, not thirty-six. Six things.
- Important things. Not urgent things. Not someone else’s things. Things important to you.
- Each “thing” is a task you can finish today. Break bigger things down into smaller steps that you can do today.
- At the end of the day. Not at the beginning when you’re optimistic. At the end of the day when you can be realistic.
- Do item 1 the first thing in the morning. Don’t check email first. Don’t rehash priorities. Start at 1 and finish it.
- Daily. Every day. Every single day.
The Mary Kay organization believes in this enough that they make space for it at the top of their consultant date books.
Maybe you’ve heard the back story about the six list before, but I think it’s worth my re-telling it.
Back in the early 1900’s, Charles Schwab was the head of the Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Consultant Ivy Lee offered to increase the productivity of Schwab’s people, and Lee would let Schwab decide what the results were worth. Schwab agreed.
Lee taught each executive to sit down at the end of each day, and create a list. The list must contain only the six most important things to be completed the next day. Each morning, they should start the day by working on the first item on that list, and not move on until it is completed. That was it. Lee left, and let Schwab watch what happened.
After a few months of seeing results, Schwab sent a check to Lee for $25,000. That’s over $500,000 in today’s dollars.
If Charles Schwab found a simple list of six things to be worth half a million dollars, maybe it can work for you, too.
- How can a municipality support entrepreneurship? - April 24, 2017
- Small town retail trend: shared spaces - April 10, 2017
- A blue Brag Basket - March 24, 2017
- Tiny businesses in storage sheds: a rural economic development tool - March 19, 2017
- Your secret advertising tool: empty buildings downtown as billboards - March 13, 2017
- What businesses work in towns under 500 - March 6, 2017
- Rural business idea: renting wilderness offices - February 27, 2017
- How to start a big business in a small town, when the big dream seems out of reach - February 13, 2017
- My trends reports and more guest articles on other sites - January 23, 2017
- Innovative Rural Business Models spread opportunity in small towns - January 9, 2017