I operate with a set of beliefs about rural places and small towns. I want to share them with you so you’ll know what I’m assuming whenever I talk with you.
When I tell you that I help you shape a better future for your small town, that includes my beliefs that small towns in general have a future, that your town in particular is worth shaping and that what you do will make a difference.
When I say we’ll do it no matter what the pessimists say or do, I believe that you have pessimists, that you have at least a few optimists, too, and that you are strong enough to stand up again when those pessimists try to knock you down once more.
When I say that I’ll deliver practical steps you can put into action right away toward that brighter future, I’m building on my belief that you want to take action and that the advice to you can be practical, do-able and realistic.
Our underlying beliefs shape our world view and all of our actions. If you believe all small towns are dying because you’ve heard it said all your life, then you’ll act like small towns have no future, like our actions don’t matter in the end. If you believe that the pessimists have power over you, you’ll squelch your own best ideas rather than bring them up and face potential ridicule.
The good news is that your underlying beliefs can change. You can shift based on the new information you learn about the world and your small town. Spoiler alert: the pessimists can shift their mindset, too. It just takes a long time and a lot of love.
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019