Lots of towns have a history video. What I want to see is your “now” video, and then I want to see your “future” video.
You know the kind of town history videos I mean. The ones with an announcer narrating the story while historical photos show your town the way it used to be. Of course, these things vary in quality. Some are really good and draw you into the story, some are really terrible. Most are just average, and they’re interesting enough if you’re interested in the town to start with.
Let’s re-think that history video. What parts of your history matter? Think about what makes your town different. No place is quite the same mix of people and place, culture and heritage.
What would you put in a “now” video? What are your people working on now? Here’s a way to think about it: If you gave me a personal tour of your town today, what would you want to show me? Now make that video and show everyone.
What goes into your “future” video? You can let your imagination run wild. Create the vision of the town you want to live in. Create the whole vision, the downtown, the schools, the parks, the art, the fanciful parts. Invite kids to draw the town they want. Older kids can mock up models. Use these to create a “future” video.
Get together with friends and build the Lighter-Quicker-Cheaper temporary version of the town you want. Use pop-up restaurants and art galleries to fill empty buildings, put temporary cafe seating right on the sidewalks, haul in plants, invite everyone downtown, and make it a big party. Get video of that. That’s your “future” video.
If you have a “now” or “future” video, I’d love to see them. Drop a link in the comments, or if you’re reading by email, hit reply and send me the link.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021