Everyone faces challenges when thinking about going into business. Being based in a rural area adds some special challenges. You may not have immediate access to anyone who can sit down with you in person. You can’t just drop in on a small business support center, because there probably isn’t one for 50 miles or more.
To help, I’ve picked what I think are the top two resources for rural people who want to go into business.
The SBA offers a huge collection of articles, training and guides. Look for “Starting a Business” in the menu. This is a great place to go when you have a specific question to get answered as well as a great place to poke around and learn almost anything about being in business.
Started by a successful entrepreneur who saw the potential for business ownership to be a positive force in the community, My Own Business has grown into a free, comprehensive and graded online course on starting a business. It’s been teaching potential business owners for two decades now. This is a great place to go when you’re ready to take a course and learn in an organized way.
I like this course as a potential tool for organizing your own entrepreneur training in rural areas. Groups of potential business owners could work on the lessons together.
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022