Everyone faces challenges when thinking about going into business. Being based in a rural area adds some special challenges. You may not have immediate access to anyone who can sit down with you in person. You can’t just drop in on a small business support center, because there probably isn’t one for 50 miles or more.
To help, I’ve picked what I think are the top two resources for rural people who want to go into business.
The SBA offers a huge collection of articles, training and guides. Look for “Starting a Business” in the menu. This is a great place to go when you have a specific question to get answered as well as a great place to poke around and learn almost anything about being in business.
Started by a successful entrepreneur who saw the potential for business ownership to be a positive force in the community, My Own Business has grown into a free, comprehensive and graded online course on starting a business. It’s been teaching potential business owners for two decades now. This is a great place to go when you’re ready to take a course and learn in an organized way.
I like this course as a potential tool for organizing your own entrepreneur training in rural areas. Groups of potential business owners could work on the lessons together.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020