Our friend Leslie McLellan shared a question from one of her Lake Arrowhead Village locals who will be opening a new gift shop.
“We would like to have a Grand Opening weekend event special at the end of April. Other than having special sales, we’re at a loss for what to do. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?”
Do we have suggestions? Of course we do! In a small town, it’s a little easier to get people’s attention than in the big city, so you don’t have to compete to be on the tv news here. It also makes sense to respect the character of your town, include connections to the local community in any way you can.
Here’s my starter list:
- Local artists performing or displaying?
- Special displays with the history of the village?
- Refreshments? Especially from up-and-coming local food vendors?
- Food truck rally?
- Pop-ups inside the store with selections curated by well-known locals or visitors?
- Online/offline crossover with interactive tablet displays?
- Online/offline with special coupons online to redeem in-store?
- Online/offline with live streaming, live tweeting from the event?
- Tastings? Samplings?
- Celebration of year-round residents? Celebration of seasonal residents?
- Contests? Drawings? Prizes?
- Outlandish window displays? Living window displays?
- Personalization and customization specials?
- Honor or feature local guides or services?
- Cross-promote with other merchants? Let the specials, fun, performances, displays spill over to other stores?
That’s just the getting started list. What can you add? What makes a Grand Opening really grand?
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020