If you believe what you read or hear from the media, then all small towns are dying. But that’s not the real story. The real story is much too nuanced for a sound bite or 3 minute story: some small towns are dying, most are surviving, and some are prospering. And any town can choose to change its trajectory.
But the even bigger story is that huge sweeping trends are acting in favor of small towns. The end of geographic limits, how customers are changing retail, the local movement, and people moving in are all reshaping the future of rural and small towns. I’m convinced that this is the best time for small towns to truly prosper.
I presented on this topic at the Small Towns Conference put on by Oklahoma Main Street. I had an audience member (thanks, Dea!) shoot video of my talk just for my own review, but several people have asked me to share it to reach more people. So even though the brightness on my video camera was acting up, I’ve agreed.
If you’d like me to come to your town to present these positive stories live and in person, get in touch. If you’re reading this in your email, you can just hit reply and that comes to me directly. If you’re reading this on the website, drop by the contact form to talk to me.
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020