Buying wine is a pretty complex decision for some of our liquor store customers. These are the people who are new to wine, or only drink occasionally. So we want to cut off the awkward part of buying wine. We do that by offering information in a variety of ways. It’s a specialized form of teaching.
Even asking these folks questions about wine can be intimidating for them, because it’s like asking them to show what they don’t know. No one likes to look foolish. That’s why we ask predictive questions. To find out how dry of a wine they may like, we ask, “Do you sweeten your iced tea?” If they don’t, they probably can take a drier wine. And that’s much less intimidating than, “Do you like dry wine?” for someone who doesn’t know what dry means in wine.
For those too shy to ask us for help, we offer self-serve information. Every wine shelf has a label with the varietal, the level of dryness, the amount of body, food pairings and serving temperature. We even include a one or two word description, like “rich” or “juicy” with a picture to help them imagine a flavor. And we manage to do that in a simple format, consistent on each shelf.
You have customers, both online and in person, who are new to your subject. How can you educate them? Think of your services or products like a retail store. How can you create predictive questions that help you find out more about them in a nonthreatening way?
How can you label or describe what you do that makes it easy to fathom? Can you use a picture or icon to make it clear? Have some fun with it!
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019