Picking the right niche for your business is a large task. I hear from many small business people who have several different targets, but can’t pick one to be their niche. This seems to be especially true for freelancers, consultants, and other independent business folks.
|Time to pick a direction.|
If you have trouble deciding on a single niche, here’s my advice:
Spend one month focused on one of your possible niches.
Pick your favorite target, and decide to spend one full month focused on them. Find those folks, connect with them online and offline, find out as much as you can about what they need, and how you can work together.
At the end of the month, you’ll know a lot more about that niche. Do you love it? Is it the one you want to spend most of your time on? If not, move on. Take your second favorite niche, and spend a month focused on them.
At the very least, you’ll learn a lot more about your potential niches. You’ll better connect with them.
More likely, you’ll learn that some of your potential niches are not a great fit. Drop them from your business. Refocus on the more promising ones.
What’s the best outcome? You’ll find your best niche. Or at least, you best niche for now.
- What is holding us back? Why does every project take so long in small towns? - December 3, 2018
- Control your business holiday lights with smart home tools - November 19, 2018
- Don’t bother to mention the benefits unless you tie them to this - November 12, 2018
- What business does every small town need? A store full of tiny retail spaces - November 5, 2018
- How any business can be part of downtown events by going mobile - October 29, 2018
- Support local entrepreneurship by giving Rising Stars business awards - October 22, 2018
- Why do people say there’s nothing to do here then not come to our concerts? - October 15, 2018
- Need more volunteers? Give everyone a tiny role - October 8, 2018
- Retailers: Fill all empty space, floor to ceiling - October 1, 2018
- Shipping container businesses downtown: don’t make this big mistake - September 24, 2018