Dave Shideler is a fellow rural entrepreneurship-aholic from the Oklahoma State University Agricultural Economics Extension service. After he spoke at the recent Oklahoma Governor’s Conference on Small Business, I sat him down for a couple of quick interviews.
Rural small business tips
Dave shares some things any small business could do to improve their chances of success: write your business idea down on paper, do your homework with market research, and make yourself known. He also stressed that you are not alone. Every rural small business has access to some excellent resources, including their public library.
Resources for anyone:
- USDA Rural Development
- Small Business Administration
- Startup America Partnership
- SizeUp (market research)
- Rural Enterprises, Inc. (REI)
- Oklahoma Small Business Development Centers
- Oklahoma CareerTech Business and Entrepreneur Coordinators (PDF listing)
- Oklahoma Department of Commerce Start a Business page
Rural economic development and entrepreneurship
I also asked Dave about how rural economic development and entrepreneurship work together. He thinks economic development is kind of coming full circle, back to small business. He also talks about the importance of succession planning to rural economic development.
I’m a big fan of Dave’s work on rural small business, and was glad we finally got the chance to meet in person. See more at Dave Shideler’s Rural Development Page at OSU
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
[…] Update: I caught Shideler for two short videos on rural entrepreneurship. […]