Last week, we talked about how to Make the most of being at a conference. Now, let’s talk about what to do when you get home.
|Aliza Sherman making notes at the first ever
140 Characters Conference in NYC
Here is my best piece of advice.
Immediately after the event, write down the top five ideas from the event: five business ideas and five blog posts.
Take the five most promising people you met, and follow up with them. Send them an email that starts by reminding them of the details of where you met and what you discussed, and ends with a next step to move forward.
Report on the event online. Post it to your blog, Facebook, and any local forums that welcome event reports.
Report to your sponsors or potential sponsors for next time. Now, the champion at this has to be Adele McAlear. Here’s what she did:
I videotaped sessions that my sponsors were interested in, then transcribed the video so that the content could be sliced, diced and searchable. I also went out of my way to meet people that were pertinent to my sponsors’ businesses and provided a report of those conversations and their contact information. I did an executive summary of the experience, relevant to my sponsors’ needs, and had the whole thing (1 1/2 inches thick) spiral bound. I burned the video to DVD and sent that along too.
Connect with others
Find the time
Afraid you’ll never get this done? I know about that post-conference rush to get back to work. The solution is to make an appointment with yourself. In fact, make several so you can do this in small bites.
Update: See the new after-conference 2-to-1 rule for another way to find the time.
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019
- Stop using “3 legged stool” to describe any idea - June 24, 2019
- What are your challenges? Add your voice here - June 17, 2019