How could your blog know everything about your business? You could tell it, as part of capturing and sharing the valuable knowledge in your small business.
Whenever your small business brings on a new person, there is a period of adjustment and training. You have to teach them what to do, how it’s done here, tricks that make things easier, traps to avoid, and all the basics. Then there are stories from the company, founding stories, people stories, and customer stories.
Your current method of capturing and sharing all this info probably works like most small businesses. You bring in a new person, show them only the bare minimum to get them started, and then work in other things as you can. None of it is formal or scheduled, so the training is hit or miss.
But what if you blogged that knowledge? You could use any blogging system (Blogger, TypePad, WordPress, Posterous) to capture and save all the training materials and stories. It’s as easy as sending an email. As for security, Blogger allows you to limit a blog to certain viewers, and I’m sure the other systems do, too.
Start on it the next time you bring in a new person. As you teach them something, also add it to your blog. Maybe even have the new person add it as a draft for you to edit and approve. It would give you an instant check on their understanding.
Use the multiple media available to you. Record stories in audio or video. Use video for how-to demonstrations. Use text for complex or lengthy information. Include lots of photos. Involve everyone on your team. Celebrate successes. Profile important customers.
Rick Mahn and I came up with this idea. What do you think? Could you make it work in your small business?
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020