Kenny and Dayna Wederski live in Woodward Oklahoma and opened Competition Sports, LLC, their new sporting goods store in January. They spent about four months in the planning stages before the doors opened. Some of the important steps they took to get to that successful opening included
- Writing the plan for the business
- Developing the financial plan and budget
- Securing the store front and allowing time for renovations
- Making contacts with the vendors before they needed the products
- Arranging for funding in increments they could afford
- Setting up inventory levels and reorder levels
Kenny and Dayna came to the Oklahoma Small Business Development Center for assistance and got some good information on the start up steps to take; determining a name for the business, forming a legal structure and getting the licenses and permits required to operate. Their counselor continued to work with them as they followed the path to the opening of the business.
Kenny is working towards getting certified to be a golf instructor in addition to the work he does now in customizing golf clubs. They found the two to four hour drive to the nearest sporting goods store that offers the same quality merchandise and more importantly the level of customer service they will provide was a great motivator to start this business. Shops in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, the biggest metropolitan areas of the state, have nothing on this Woodward Oklahoma business!
- About the Author
- Latest by this Author