How do you tell if a blog is right for your small business? What if you’ve heard of blogs, but aren’t sure what it means? For today’s Small Biz 100, we’re going to go over some small business blog basics.
First, what is a blog? It’s a special type of website, one that is designed to be regularly updated. Posting an update is about the same as writing an email. This site is a blog, and I also use one for my small business, Allen’s Retail Liquors. If you haven’t set up a website before, do get some help at least with the setup.
Now to the big question, should you blog for your small business? Here is one great way to tell. Write down every basic question a customer asks you. Start today, and do this for two weeks. If you end up with a long list of questions you can answer, then you have enough material to start a blog. If you don’t, then a blog may not work as well for.
But what if my customers aren’t online?
Of course, you’d love to have your blog draw more local customers in your front door, or bring you more signed contracts. However, that might not work if you are in a small town with few local people online. Drawing customers isn’t the only purpose to blogging.
Side benefits from blogging
- An answer resource for customers.
The next time a customer asks you a basic question, you can encourage them to read the answer online.
- An answer resource you can publish in many forms.
Once you’ve written those answers, you can:
- print them out as handouts
- compile a short booklet
- put them on a CD as PDF files
- make a speech you deliver to educate potential customers.
The one BIG secret to make it work:
Focus on what customers want to know, not what you want to tell them about your business.
This article is part of the Small Biz 100, a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people and solo entrepreneurs. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series, leave a comment or send us an email at email@example.com. This is a community project!
- Stop using “3 legged stool” to describe any idea - June 24, 2019
- What are your challenges? Add your voice here - June 17, 2019
- How to publicize your biking trails before they’re finished - June 10, 2019
- How $5 and a bowl of soup can rebuild your community - June 3, 2019
- Getting people to mix at an event - May 27, 2019
- Crowdsourced ideas for coffee shops and other third places - May 20, 2019
- Post signs with your tourism hashtag where visitors will see them - May 13, 2019
- Book review: Celebrity CEO by Ramon Ray - May 6, 2019
- How to develop an entrepreneurial culture and more small businesses in your town - April 29, 2019
- Where’s your town’s future mural? - April 22, 2019