Every local business website needs to cover some basic information, but too often, we miss something basic.
I just searched for some local businesses, and found many that were missing essential info. It’s easy to do, because you’re too close. You think everyone will know, you assume they can figure it out. But it doesn’t work that way. Lots of people don’t know. Maybe they found you through search, or they recently moved to town, or they just never knew about you before.
So here’s the checklist of basic info every small town business ought to include on their website.
- Get in contact:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Mailing address
- City and state
- Street address
- Map of your location, or link to an online map
- Come on in:
- Business hours
- Bonus: picture of your business from the street
- Buy something:
- Lines of business
- Specific brand names
Take time to check your site. You might be surprised at what’s missing.
And don’t bury these essentials in small type, or hard to find locations. Make them big, bold, obvious, and maybe even repeat them.
This article is part of the Small Biz 100, a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people and solo entrepreneurs, whether in a small town, the big city, or in between. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series, leave a comment or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a community project!
Photo by Becky McCray.
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019