Sometimes the best advice comes from other small business owners. Mark Hayward asked on Twitter,
“Small biz owners, are your numbers down? Ours seem to be off quite a bit from this time last year…How are you compensating?”
In the course of our conversation online, we came up with two suggestions:
1. Diversify – What else do you have to offer?
Mark owns a guest house on a tropical island and maintains a great online presence for it with a whole bunch of different social networks, etc. Mark has considered doing some consulting with other small businesses, to help them market using these same tools.
What skills do you have you could use to either expand your business, or possibly start a side business? Have you developed any tools, software or skills you can offer to other small business owners?
2. Refocus your time to do more outreach.
Mark said it this way, “ahh, next, step away from Twitter …and focus more on some travel sites. :)”
When you have less business to do, it can be either tempting to do relaxing or distracting activities, like Twitter, or it can feel odd, not knowing what to do.
Focus your time on reaching more people you can serve.
More ideas from other small biz owners:
Gabriel Pagan @gabopagan added several points:
- discipline and cost control without sacrificing quality and service (hard!)
- redoubling efforts to get new clients while doing as much to keep existing ones
- trying to get all employees with sense of ownership, we all in this together
packages and more advertising for increased sales
I say keep keeping on, improve things, come up with better packaging/presentation
What would you do if sales were down? What real-world experience can you share?
This article is part of the Small Biz 100, a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people and solo entrepreneurs, whether in a small town, the big city, or in between. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series, leave a comment or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a community project!
Get the whole series by subscribing to Small Biz Survival.
- The easiest way to podcast is from your phone - June 18, 2018
- Dress up empty buildings with these creative window ideas - June 11, 2018
- Expensive code compliance doesn’t have to ruin your small town - May 28, 2018
- The next big opportunity downtown: the rooftops - May 14, 2018
- I’d like to feed business plan competitions to the sharks - May 7, 2018
- What can you do when a traffic detour cuts down on visitors to town? - April 30, 2018
- Are conferences and events worth your time and money? Here’s how to make sure - April 23, 2018
- Six big themes for small town entrepreneurship - April 16, 2018
- Check this list? Did I get your topic on there? - April 9, 2018
- If you help your customers to create a plan, don’t leave out this essential item - April 2, 2018