It’s like you want to throw a big costume party.
You call a few friends, “hey, I’m going to throw a costume party.”
“Great idea!” we say. We make supportive noises, offer a few ideas, and say we’ll be glad to help. Because we are, we will be, glad to help.
Then you work out a bit more on your own, and you send out the invitations, and you prepare like mad.
And you wait. Nervously. For guests you *hope* will arrive. “What if no one comes to my party?”
We all get that feeling in business. I think, “What if they don’t drink on Halloween this year?” Jon thinks, “What if no one turns up for the services?” Chris thinks, “What if PodCamp is a big flop?” You know, it is absolutely universal.
The waiting is the killer.
But when you actually get started, a few friends turn up early, and you get busy with them, and then suddenly, there is a party happening.
You have a network. You’ve positioned yourself and done all that self-selling already. You are like a well known hostess. (you’re giggling now, aren’t you?) If you announce your party, people will show up. Really.
The waiting is much worse than the reality.
You say, “But imagine throwing a party and then charging at the door. FREE is easy. Getting people to pay is ridiculous. Isn’t it?”
What on earth makes you think that it is that much harder to get people to pay?? It’s not!
It’s just a business. Really, just like any business on the face of the earth. If it’s valuable to you, you’ll pay for it.
If you put on the invitation that there’s a cover charge, people will get it. They only get upset when you SURPRISE them by charging at the door.
[Thanks to Jon Swanson for encouraging me to post this.]
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019
- Stop using “3 legged stool” to describe any idea - June 24, 2019