7 Biggest Strengths of Local Shops
And how you can build on them.
Remember the 7 Weaknesses of Local Shops? They were crazy popular because they touched a nerve. I acknowledged that some of our local businesses really need to step up to earn business today. This series is the flip side of that idea. Small town stores have strengths, too. Our best local shops know a lot about customer service and community, and every business would be wise to learn from our strengths.
- Get to know you
- Make customers feel loved
- Fewer layers
- More flexible
- More knowledgeable
- Benefiting the local community
Strength 4: More flexible.
Maybe this was a secret, but small town businesses have the luxury of presuming people are basically good. That means we can treat customers like real people.
We can give you a handful of screws from the bin without charging you and say, “I’ll catch you next time.”
We can loan you one of our specialty tools and be confident you’ll bring it back.
We can offer advice and information, knowing you’ll try to reward us with business.
We can promote your business, even if there is no apparent connection between our businesses.
What makes this work is our small town community. We know you. We know your family. You’ll be back, and you’ll have to live in town with us. Very few people in small towns are willing to actively hurt a local business just to save a buck, then face the owner in line at the cafe the next day.
People are basically good. That’s what we think. And that’s how we treat you.
Next up: Strength 5: More knowledgeable
- 19 things you can do with a building that has no roof - January 19, 2015
- Brag basket on the road - January 17, 2015
- How to cut down on the nasty surprises in business - January 12, 2015
- The problem with statewide meetings that ignore rural - January 5, 2015
- End of year checklist for small business - December 29, 2014
- Survey says: Shopping at small businesses makes people feel good - December 10, 2014
- The boring and overlooked tool that can make your business life much easier - November 24, 2014
- Holiday shopping campaigns besides “Shop Small” - November 17, 2014
- How small towns can do Shop Small Saturday - November 10, 2014
- Use social lists to connect local businesses - November 4, 2014