Because there are so many sole proprietor businesses, two questions come up over and over: Can you sell a sole proprietor business? and Can a sole proprietor have more than one owner?
Can you sell a sole proprietorship?
|Pirate Bob, Sole Proprietor|
Yes. You are not selling stock like you would in a corporation, and you aren’t selling partnership interest like you would in most LLCs. What you are selling is the assets. According to IRS rules, you personally own the assets of your business. So you can decide what to include in the sale of the business. Besides the physical assets, you’re also selling your list of customers, your existing good name as a business, and other intangible assets. Sometimes you’ll see these intangibles called “blue sky value” or “good will.”
The new owner pays you whatever price you agree upon, and you transfer ownership of the assets. At the very least, you issue a Bill of Sale. For some assets, like autos, you’ll need to do the usual legal transfer of ownership.
Can a sole proprietor have more than one owner?
No. A sole proprietor is one person.
If you are considering a short term project with two or more sole proprietors, you might use a Joint Operating Agreement or other legal agreement to document your arrangement. That way each individual remains a sole proprietor. If you don’t create some form of agreement, you may be considered a general partnership, which is not a great deal.
If you are wanting a more long term arrangement to work together, or you want to give or sell ownership interest in your sole proprietorship, then you’ll need to create a different type of business entity. See When NOT to Be a Sole Proprietor.
If you have more questions about sole proprietorship, ask in the comments.
- Are conferences and events worth your time and money? Here’s how to make sure - April 23, 2018
- Six big themes for small town entrepreneurship - April 16, 2018
- Check this list? Did I get your topic on there? - April 9, 2018
- If you help your customers to create a plan, don’t leave out this essential item - April 2, 2018
- Small town secrets to surviving lean times - March 26, 2018
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018