No one creates jobs in a vacuum.
- They need to connect to customers.
- They need to connect to people at suppliers and service providers.
- They need to connect to people who help them think of the new ideas that generate new value that create more demand that lead to new jobs.
- They need to connect to people who can fill those jobs.
Innovation isn’t about a lone inventor sitting in a lab somewhere. Innovation is about two or three people putting together pieces of seemingly unrelated ideas to generate a new idea.
Innovation works best when people connect with people outside their usual network, people who aren’t exactly like them.
That may not be easy in a small town. Your rural town has different kinds of people. You have different businesses. You have people with differing ideas. But they don’t necessarily mix and connect easily.
When you bring them together and help them connect, you’re spurring innovation and generating future jobs.
How can you do that, when you’re already overwhelmed with too many things to do? Add more deliberate networking to things you’re already doing.
- Do you hold a business fair? Add networking.
- Have a conference or workshop? Add networking.
And acknowledge that what you’re doing is not just about people talking to each other. It’s about creating new jobs.
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022