Legions of people over 55 have boxes and boxes of old photos. They’d love to have them in albums or scanned into digital format, but they may not have the time, equipment or experience. Enter photo organization businesses.
These are perfect for small towns and especially for younger people looking for a business that’s simple to start on the side.
Think of all the people who are downsizing to a smaller house and having to go through all their stuff. Then add in all the people who have inherited boxes of unsorted photos from parents. That’s a big target market.
The Sidney Morning Herald reported on one business offering this service in Australia.
The pair charge $55 an hour to organise prints into albums and $60 an hour to digitise prints and slides. Boomers account for 75 per cent of their turnover, with some clients happy to pay for up to 60 hours of service.
“Baby boomers have been our bread and butter – they see that value,” Morrison says.
“They are recognising you really can’t put a price on this stuff.”
You may already have a flatbed scanner built into your printer that would be enough to get started with, or you can purchase one specifically designed to work with photos, negatives and slides.
You’ll find more suggestions here at tocofi, The Original Instagrams – What to Do with the Box of Old Family Photos: Scan and Enlarge Them.
And here’s an article from Cathi Nelson specifically on scanning photos as a home business:
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021