If you’re trying to make something better, I have two questions for you to ask everyone who is involved.
|My winter view of Port Dover, Norfolk County, Ontario.|
- Why are we doing this?
- Why are we doing it this way?
These great questions are from Norfolk County, Ontario, Mayor Dennis Travale. Dennis is serious about improving the way their county government works. So as he looks at each project, each paperwork requirement, each point of contact with the public, he first asks, “Why are we doing this?” Frequently, he said, there is an excellent reason for doing it. But if not, then that item is a prime candidate to eliminate.
The follow up question is where the real progress is made. Now that you know the reason or purpose for what you are doing, look at how it’s being done. Asking, “Why are we doing it this way?” opens up the possibility of finding new ways to do it better. This also brings up perspective. Do we do it this way because it’s easy for us, or do we consider the customers’ point of view?
You can adapt these questions to anything you do, whether you are a:
- solo entrepreneur
- small business owner
- non-profit organization staff
- government agency staff
- or elected official.
Try these questions out this week, and let me know how they work for you.
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020