[Stephanie Ward is a fellow Oklahoman, who happens to now reside in The Netherlands. She’s been a good friend and coach, and I’m proud to offer this guest post from her. – Becky]
By Stephanie Ward
What if there was a business that could save children’s lives, protect women from rape, improve the environment, and even pay people money to use its product.
And, what if that business also made money with two sources of revenue.
Sounds unbelievable but it’s true. I was lucky to be in the audience at the TEDx Amsterdam Women Conference to hear Anjali Sarker from Bangladesh tell her story about what inspired her to create Toilet Plus, a business that does all of this for the rural poor in her country.
It all boils down to the motivation to get people to change their behavior, to buy and use the toilet. This is accomplished by offering them money for their waste. Anjali describes this as, “Sh*t and Earn” or in other words, crap and collect.
The affordable, long-lasting, and sustainable toilets her company sells offer a never ending revenue source for its clients because they are able to sell their human and bio waste to the company. Then her company uses the waste to create organic fertilizer which they sell to local companies.
|The Toilet Plus revenue model may inspire you to improve your own model.|
This is a business model that saves lives, changes lives, benefits the local community, and makes money. It’s got to be the most ingenious and fascinating business model I’ve ever encountered.
Anjali believes “Sanitation is a right, not a privilege” and she is on a mission to redefine sanitation. You can watch her entire 12 minute talk here.
So what does this story have to do with you and your business?
My intention is to inspire you to take a long hard look at your business and imagine and brainstorm how you could reinvent your business model so that you are able to make an even bigger impact.
10 Ideas to Consider for Your Business Model
1. Add a new revenue stream.
2. Change the way your products and services are delivered.
3. Add a new audience segment.
4. Refine your current target market even further by becoming more specific.
5. Turn your business model upside down.
6. Create new packages or combinations of your products and services.
7. Get rid of a revenue stream that isn’t very popular or profitable.
8. Find a company to partner with for a new product or service.
It’s amazing what can be created when you work with other people. Do your research, get to know some people, and start brainstorming.
9. Switch the way you price your product or service.
10. Include a “more than profit” element to your business.
Meaning you give part of your profit to a cause of your choosing. Examples of companies that are “more than profit” are Toms, Sevenly, and the companies listed on Shop With Meaning.
If Anjali’s story doesn’t inspire you to think about how you can transform your business model then I don’t know what will. Makes some changes to your business model and delight your clients with something that will blow their minds.
Stephanie Ward is the Marketing Coach for Entrepreneurs who want to set their profits on fire! Grab your FREE copy of the special report ‘7 Steps to Attract More Clients in Less Time’ plus business building tips, at: http://www.fireflycoaching.com.
©2013 Stephanie Ward. Reprinted by permission.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Subscribe.
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers - May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results - May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 - April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
[…] A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind and 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (smallbizsurvival.com) […]