Our friend Des Walsh from Australia sent me a great email, that I just had to share with all of you.
You might not have known but we had a Federal election here on Saturday. The outcome hangs in the balance (although I don’t think there are any hanging chads), with the likelihood of a hung Parliament – current Labor gov 73 seats, current opposition conservative coalition 73, give or take one or two, and the balance of power in the hands of three independents from rural or regional (ie not big city) electorates. One of them at least is from Central Casting as the rural eccentric, cowboy hat and all – Bob Katter. But crazy like a fox. (video)
A single-minded representative. A couple of pundits have said that Bob (member for the electorate of Kennedy) has 3 issues – Kennedy, Kennedy, and Kennedy.
The electorate of Kennedy is one third of the land mass of the State of Queensland and covers some 357,784 square miles.
The three independents have suddenly acquired a whole bunch of powerful friends who wouldn’t have given them the time of day last week.
In the election campaign the gov said they’d spend $43 billion on the new National Broadband Network (fiber all over this big country) and the Opposition said they’d do a $6 billion job and leave it to the private sector to sort out the details – wireless, satellite, yada yada yada. Lots of ignorance and fibs on both sides.
So guess what one of the key issues and thus bargaining chips is for the three blokes from the bush? Broadband!
Should be interesting.
Read more of the story in The Australian.
Business mentor coach & social media strategist
Manager, PitchEngine Australia & New Zealand
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022