This is a picture of some of the wine racks in the stock room of our liquor store.
You can actually buy specially designed metal shelving and wine racks for liquor store stock rooms. Instead, my mother scrounged up some book cases. Then she used cardboard wine boxes and their dividers to make perfectly functional wine racks. It’s in the backroom, so appearance isn’t critical.
This may be typical Okie engineering, or it may be small town creativity. Maybe Mom was just too cheap to shell out for the fancy stuff.
This kind of thinking kept her in business, and profitable, for over a decade. I think other business people have a lot to learn from my mom.
We’re still using these shelves, of course. Can I offer you a nice chardonnay?
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021