To get ready for an upcoming presentation, I came up with a list of things about social media that scare small town governments, or roadblocks that keep them from participating in social networks. I think there are lots of similarities to small businesses.
- We don’t know what to do.
- We don’t want to lose control (of the message, the conversation).
- We might draw negative comments.
- We could run into legal issues.
- Does this create Open Records Issues?
- What will it cost?
- Where will we find the time or the staff to do it?
- This is not seen as serious business. We have important things to do.
- If we spend money to get help, we might face public outcry.
- Will there be any return on this investment?
- How does this fit with what we do now?
- Who will do it, and what are they NOT doing while they are doing it?
- What if we mess up?
- Why? What for?
- People will expect follow up and better performance.
- What if it’s a failure?
- The Mayor, Council, or the Public might not like it, or don’t like it.
- What if we accidentally reveal too much information?
- We don’t know the guidelines or rules.
- We can’t keep up with changing technology.
- What would we say?
- This might create jealousy when one employee gets to do it, but not others.
- We’re too small.
What are the Answers?
If you’ve tried to help people with these issues, what answers have you found effective? Are there some techniques that help get past some of these internal barriers?
I’ll do a follow up with some of the best solutions. I’ll be speaking on this topic twice in the coming months, so I’ve been thinking about it quite a bit!
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021