Our friend Linda, @MissDazey42, is a retired business owner, with experience in sales, market research, etc. (Her motto: “If I had my life to live over, I’d pick more daisies.”) Linda shared this story about her experience with a local business for our series on mistakes small businesses make.
Two years ago, I had the best experience with a small local shoe store when they special ordered a pair of shoes. They carry the brand of shoes I need for my arthritic feet. I told everyone about this wonderful caring store, including on a blog.
I went back and ordered another pair in middle of December; I was told it would take 2 weeks. OK, no hurry. By the middle of January, there were still no shoes. I called and the very young girl said she would tell the owner. OK, it’s now mid February, no shoes and no return calls from owner. I called again and got the same song and dance.
Yesterday since I was near there, I stopped by. The owner was on her cell phone at the desk, but the second she heard my name she went darting into the storage room. It was so very embarrassing for the young salesperson. All she could say was my shoes have been ordered. I asked if I could cancel, she went to ask the boss and got a NO. (By the way, the order was prepaid.)
I am a big promoter of good customer service. It’s a shame a local store that has a one of a kind specialty service has changed so much. It’s been in business here for years. Next time I will simply order the same shoes online at a lower price.
Read more from Linda at Elder Generation.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022