Are you waiting?
Get on the phone, get on email, get on Twitter, get on with it! Tell people you are now in business. No, I’m not worried that you don’t have a perfect website yet. I’m more worried that you don’t have any customers, or you only have one. I’m not worried that the timing is wrong, or the economy looks tough. Zane will tell you Today’s the Day to Start Your Business.
Know your target and go find them. Get past your existing network. If you are providing service to small businesses, know exactly what kind of small business, what size, and where to find them.
Go get in front of your target people and ask them questions. Learn all about them. Find out what their problems are, what their needs are. Do NOT presume to know what their problems are, even though you are in the business of selling your solution. Each and every business is different, and even if they weren’t, each small business person thinks they are different!
So you want to go in armed with a list of questions to start discussion. Let’s say you are a social media person, working with small local businesses. Start asking about their current customers. How to they listen to them? What tools do they give customers to give feedback? Are they able to currently reward their fans? How do they know what the larger community is saying about their business?
In order to develop a list of questions like this, you’ll need to know not only what you offer, but also what your customers DO with what you offer. I wrote an article about this: Communicate: Ask Better Questions..
So quit waiting. Get going!
[Photo of a new business in Alva, from my Flickr.]
This article is part of the Small Biz 100,a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people andsolo entrepreneurs, whether in a small town, the big city, or inbetween. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series,leave a comment or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a community project!
Get the whole series by subscribing to Small Biz Survival.
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019
- Stop using “3 legged stool” to describe any idea - June 24, 2019
- What are your challenges? Add your voice here - June 17, 2019
- How to publicize your biking trails before they’re finished - June 10, 2019
- How $5 and a bowl of soup can rebuild your community - June 3, 2019
- Getting people to mix at an event - May 27, 2019