Every small business person has to face up to it: keeping financial records. Most of us would do anything to avoid having to set up an accounting system!
Here’s my simple rule: Don’t track anything you don’t have to.
- Do track data that helps you make better decisions.
- Do meet all legal requirements.
If you won’t use the data to make better business decisions or to meet legal requirements, why are you spending time to track it? You might be surprised the level of detail some small businesses keep, but never refer to!
What records do I need to keep in my small business?
In the USA, get out the tax form you will file, and see what income and expense categories it asks for. Please note, it is worth it to invest in a little time with an income tax accountant to figure out what parts apply to your business and whether you might have any other legal requirements. Make sure you research the regulations from each agency your business must report to, like your state tax commission or department of revenue.
Once you know the categories, keep receipts and totals for those items.
“Meat and Potatoes”
The specifics of implementing these ideas will be part of a series on simplified accounting. First up will be side businesses and micro enterprises.
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022